Friday, November 15, 2013

The Cosmic Void

It's been several years since I've even looked at this blog. I'm sitting at my desk in Baddeck, Nova Scotia (neat place- you should look it up) and I'm reflecting on my last travel adventure and on the next one to come. You see, I leave for a very long time on a very permanent excursion to the UK. Leaving in two weeks, in fact. Basically, after a few degrees in political science here in Canada, I've somehow come up with the wild idea to get me a PhD. There's an amazing program at the University of Glasgow that I've been accepted into. This experience has come up after a lot of time spent traveling through my Master's degree, after all of the growing pains associated with that time, and after a lot of successes and a lot of failures. I've learned so much but the urge to keep going and to keep discovering hasn't faded. Not one iota.

In the last three years, I've spent six months living in Vilnius, Lithuania, traveled to Paris, Rome, Chicago, Washington DC, to some really big mountains and Burlington in Vermont, and I have been all over Canada. After taking that first massive leap and getting on that fateful plane to Stockholm over 3 years ago I literally have not stopped. It's occurred to me after watching my friends find permanent jobs, get married and buy houses that I might be running from adulthood. But I've found recently that there are many versions of "adulthood" and that mine happens to look out over the clouds from the seat of an airplane. I'm not behind, broken, or otherwise deficient in any way. I am rather, a nomad, a gypsy, part migratory bird, part sentimental soul who just wants to feel everything from every part of everywhere. In the movie of my adult life I am deeply moved and affected by the world and that, my friends, is just fine with me.

I think that in comemmoration of this next big move, I might retroactively post some photos and thoughts from the travels I failed to document here. You know, the memories that are still rattling around in my brain, yet to find their place on virtual paper. In that vein, I will send this post out into the void of the internet and if you read this, maybe you'll write me. Maybe you'll shirk the idea of a nuclear adult life as well. And maybe we can be friends.

Good bye for now, dear void. It's good to be back.

No comments:

Followers