Sunday, January 10, 2010

One more week!


This afternoon I emptied my camera card to make room for new photos. This isn't a big event but it forced me to peruse the last six months of my life in relative detail (I am the notorious person at parties and events that is constantly taking photos- if, of course- I've remembered my camera at all). Photos from the summer where I spent my days sailing and squinting for lack of decent sunglasses at Camp Rotary's Grand Lake, weeks after that spent making my way through my home town and new home town with one wild Australian who made me see familiar places through new eyes, and lastly the last four months, which were perhaps, the most challenging months, keeping up with one very intelligent Ontarian and trying not to drown in mounds of schoolwork. Well, what, do you suppose does this have to do with much of anything?

The thing is, I've always thought that I lived a rather small life; valuable, but small nonetheless. So, looking through old photos made me reconsider that idea. It made me shift how I thought of this upcoming change of place, language and direction. I thought going into this that it would be my one greatest adventure or effort and that it would be the pinnacle of my young adult life. However, I no longer believe that this is the case. To be quintessential, this is the next chapter (I finally understand what people in movies where someone gets divorced mean by that phrase). I have lived a fantastic life filled with people that have come and gone, with a fair few that somehow stuck to my fabric of existence, rather like velcro. It is now that I'd like to thank the people who have influenced me, taught me, loved me, and stuck by me while I was being absolutely intolerable. You made this life worth something- and that is a very big thing to have done.

It's seems to me I would never have gotten this far without a lot of help (a lot being subjective but invariably meaning someone kindly suggesting to me that I'm being an idiot and to do it the right way) and it is because of this help that I embark on one very scary journey. Very shortly.

To my wild Australian, intelligent Ontarian, fellow Rotarians and my family and friends,
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
Stay tuned.

No comments:

Followers