Saturday, January 30, 2010

Socks and Underwear




I was having a bit of writer's block this week, but was writing to a friend on Facebook about how I was running out of socks and suddenly, voila!! My inspiration for how to start my next post. Why, you ask? Well, because I am running out of socks and underwear! I've been here for a week and every day I need three pairs of socks so my toes don't fall off in the -20 degree weather. One day I went out to walk on the frozen Baltic sea (very beautiful, by the way) and I still haven't recovered. All of that aside however, this place so far has been truly wonderful. Looking up at picturesque snow topped buildings while walking on winding, slightly slippery, cobbled streets with fat snow flurries floating gently down around you is an activity that I could do endlessly if it didn't involve frost-bitten finger-tips and noses. Infinite passageways, tunnels, staircases and narrow alleys transport you all over the central Old Town and every time I take a trip there I discover something new. For example, last week I went to view an apartment that belonged to an Italian girl, Carlotta, who was also on exchange in Estonia. After seeing her apartment (which I agreed to take, incidentally) we were standing chatting in her kitchen where I explained that I had been there for a while but hadn't really met anybody yet. She was kind enough to invite me to dinner with her and a group of her friends at a pizza place just outside Old Town. The food was delicious, the company was fantastic and so after, we decided to continue our evening at a coffee shop. Joined by a few more people we made our way into a tiny nook that was through a gate and didn't look like it contained much of anything. To my surprise and delight, this tiny nook was in fact, home to many shops and a beautiful little coffee place selling a number of culinary fascinations such as chilli chocolate and pineapple flavoured green tea. The interior was infused by low lights and was decorated by lovely, old furniture, flowers, chandeliers and candles. It was a typical Old Town structure with low ceilings, old stonework and visible beams. Settling down into a corner, all of us ordered and waited at our table in anticipation for what we were sure was going to be an incredible dining experience. We were not disappointed. The tea came in little mugs with filters in the centre for the loose tea leaves to settle and steep and the chocolates were served on small silver plates like the ones your grandmother has in her china cabinet someplace, all scrolls and frills along the edges. The chilli chocolates were to die for, with just a little heat in the truffle centre to set off the rich, dark chocolate. I have to tell you, the I have not often had cause to use the word "swoon" but that day, I may very well have "swooned" over those chocolates.

Each time I've explored the city, it's been something like that. Someplace new, with different people and even though whatever activity we are partaking in may not be my favourite thing (think clubbing complete with disco lights and a gazillion people) it's still an entertaining experience. My friend Pauline has been a huge help in showing me the sights and the shopping (which I very definitely like) and the orientation put on by the International Office and student club has been both fun and informative. I've met tons and tons of people from all over and we've bonded over trying out the preferred local alcohol (Vana Tallinn) which burns on the way down and trying to find our way around. It's really starting to pick up here and it's all very exciting! My classes start on Monday and I'm looking forward to figuring out what my routine is going to be like. Only having three courses will be quite different for me, and will hopefully leave me with lots of time to travel! Of course that also means more blogging and more pictures! But, we'll see. Tonight, an Estonian party with traditional music and snacks. I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Followers