Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Shopoholic Takes Tallinn

Many shopping centres= utter mayhem and excessive shoppers guilt. It's day 9 of my Estonian adventure and I, the one carrying many shopping bags, have not only seen the sights but also the inside of every available shopping centre in the city. For the most part I've been able to restrain myself. I've only purchased a few frivolities aside from any necessities, but, I nonetheless feel like I've purchased too much (presents for my family, going out clothing because I brought only casual wear which isn't my fault because that's all I own, and one rather expensive tube of toothpaste). I haven't really over spent, but since every time I spend something I go further into the negative (not to mention the stomach awash was nerves and churning with guilt), I really ought not to spend much.

The problem is, and in fact the problem always has been, that I find shopping therapeutic. There's something very comforting about the sense of uniformity and anonymity found in shopping malls that seems to calm my very soul. Which religion am I, you ask? Why, I am of course an ardent follower of the consumerist lifestyle! My places of worship are the Temples of Mammon which in Tallinn, are nicely juxtaposed with the Temples of God. And you?

The worst part is, I know what I'm doing. Each time I slide the little red card, time worn with scratches on the surface, across the gleaming black countertop to the smiling sales clerk, I can hear my father's disapproving voice as if it were coming from the shop's speakers. "Noelle, you don't NEED that!" But, alas, it's too late. I silently scrawl my signature in shame and tuck my parcel inside my giant bag of tricks otherwise known as a purse. "Too bad," I mutter to my speaker-bound father and I scuttle furtively out of the shop.

If the habit was bad in Canada, it's far worse in Estonia. New stores, handicrafts, amber, coffee, oh my! Not to mention the delicious cakes and meals available at my beck and call. But really, though, I haven't been doing that badly. In fact I might even be doing rather well. The larger items such as a mobile phone and glasses have both been necessary and budget options and everything else has been on sale. The one thing that may have been a bit excessive might be the fact that since being here I've purchased my weight in black tea. I can't live without the stuff. It's a great match to the best eclairs I've ever eaten available at Reval Cafe.

I write this as I sit in yet another shopping centre. But, it's snowing rather heavily outside so it's ok I think. Oh wait. Look! There's a sale at Zara...

No comments:

Followers