Sunday, April 25, 2010

Adventuring and so on.. April 1 and Easter Weekend

So, spring has finally, sort of, sprung in Tallinn. It's still not what one would call warm but it's warm enough for a few (six) brave ERASMUS to venture out into the unknown and risk life and limb in daredevil climbs and zip lines.

Just kidding… would I do that??

No, there were no limbs or lives risked that day and really, anyone could have done it. The "it" I'm referring to would be "Nomme Adventure Park" conveniently located behind the Technological University. When I saw only six people show up to the event, I was questioning how the day was going to go and when I saw just the outside of the park, I really, really wondered how it was going to go. It's a very nondescript sort of place. Anyway, on to the good stuff.

Our first task was to get into our harnesses. I was not prepared to be wearing a harness and am currently wearing yoga pants. This of course resulted in an enormous wedgie for the duration of the harness wearing period. I figure that as long as nobody can see the jam or perhaps "bind" that I'm in, I'm fine. Very punny, I know.

The harness comes with two large metal clips that have to be attached at all times to wires that are strung through the trees above whatever part of the course we're on. It also has a really big hooky thing with a closure for the zip line parts of the course. This is the moment when I know that I'm in trouble. I have the coordination of a floor tile. That is to say, effectively none. I'm baffled about how to clip and unclip these things with people lined up behind me waiting for their turn on whichever task I'm completing. How do I do it while looking like I know exactly what I'm doing, because it would be such a terrible thing if they saw that I didn't, and still manage to do the task quickly. My concern with such trivial matters lands me in trouble with the instructor more than once because I keep removing both clips, which I'm not allowed to do. Ugh, why did I sign up for this?

However, about ten minutes after this thought runs through my head, I finally manage to get the hang of the course. I'm breezing through tasks! I'm quick! I'm nimble! If there was a candlestick, I'd be all set. My success fills me with a false sense of confidence and so I push through climbs and balance tasks that maybe are a bit beyond my skill level. Two hours later, and thighs burning, I finally reach the end of the course when maybe I should have stopped a little while back. The last zip line was the longest one, a reward I suppose for the work required to get to this point. I feel a sense of accomplishment which is nice. Nice, because for the next three days every time I walk anywhere, I limp and wince in pain. Crap.

This is especially embarrassing because my friend's families arrived the next day in Taliinn and I agreed to help show them the town. So, the only time in weeks that I might have to make a first impression, I get to make one with a strained crotch and two none functioning thigh muscles. Oh, no!

Nonetheless I have a great time showing these two surrogate families what we've been doing here and also to do some new things. I hadn't been to the Museum of Occupations, the Kalev marzipan museum or the Kiek in de Kok bastion yet but I did all of those things with Kevin's uncle. Not to mention eating at Olde Hansa and at various other bars and restaurants with Szymon's sister and her husband.

A weekend that I thought was going to be very lonely, actually turned out to be one of the better weekends in Tallinn. I think that I might have underestimated the effect of not having my family less than five hours away would have on me. Briefly, fleetingly, I got a taste of what it would be like if I could show them this city that I've come to love.

No comments:

Followers