Friday, April 2, 2010

And It Continues...



March 4

Now this is an event an a half. Are you ready? Are you?? I bet you're not. But I guess I'll tell you anyway. I got to visit the Estonian PARLIAMENT! That's right, the Estonian seat of power, democracy, and freedom. I had shivers. I did, I swear. I love, love, loved it. This is what I have wanted to do since I got here. I walk home past the buildings every time I leave the city centre but hadn't yet been inside. So, upon hearing there would be an event where we would visit Parliament, I was the first to sign up.

Estonian democracy is of the highest standard. It's ranked fifth of the most democratic countries in the world, is very progressive, and generally functions very well. Estonia has had so few opportunities in its history to govern itself that in 1991 when they gained their independence they jumped at the chance to do it properly. They use a proportional representation system that is perfect for them since they are a small country with mixed views, and they have a sort of coalition government. They even have seats for Green party members, a touchy subject for any Canadians who vote Green as our system doesn't allow their direct participation in our political system without seats (which they don't have). But, enough of that. I'll tell you now about the inside of the buildings.

The Estonian parliament is built in several different styles from several different time. It's highly recognizable because part of it is in a castle, and the other most visible part in the front, is very pink. The inside has been built to symbolize Estonian national pride and freedom. From the colours right down to the interior mouldings. The chamber where members sit is bright blue with black doors and a white-ish ceiling as represented on the Estonian flag. The ceiling, stairways and walls all have decorative zigzags which are also symbols of Estonian independence. It makes for quite an eclectic looking arrangement. So, so, different from the Canadian buildings which tend to err towards the side of regal rather than quirky. I like it though, it's more appealing than the stiffness of the Canadian buildings.

After a guided tour, and some fun outside the chamber where members wait (if you stand in one corner of the room and even just whisper, the sound travels to the other corner. It's meant to symbolize that no secrecy is allowed in the parliament) we had a visit with a member of parliament whose name currently escapes me but who had lots and lots to say about Estonian government and its problems, all of which I won't recount to you now but which was very interesting. The highlights were that Estonia is having some integration problems with it's Russian population, has the same women's equality problems that we experience in Canada, and has very little debt, making its ascension into the Eurozone imminent.

Best trip ever. Felt like home. Pathetic? Maybe, but don't judge me. I just really like getting my politic on.

No comments:

Followers